Friday, December 14, 2007

Have you not heard?


It was many years ago that I made my first retreat at All Saints Convent in Catonsville, Maryland. While there, I came across a holy card that quoted Rabindranath Tagore. It was my first introduction to the luminous works of this mystical poet. Here's a sample that is perfect for Advent:

Have you not heard his silent steps?
He comes, comes, ever comes.
Every moment and every age,
every day and every night
he comes, comes, ever comes.
Many a song have I sung in many a mood of mind,
but all their notes have always proclaimed,
"He comes, comes, ever comes."

-- Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.