Sunday, February 28, 2010

Seeking the face of God

Artist: Viktor Vasnetsov

My favorite psalm is Psalm 27 which, as it happens, is appointed for today's Eucharistic celebration. I had the following verse printed on the invitations to my Solemn Profession back in 1994:
One thing have I asked of the LORD;
one thing I seek; *
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days
of my life;
Here are two other verses that I particularly cherish:

You speak in my heart and say, "Seek my face." *
Your face, LORD, will I seek.
~~~
What if I had not believed
that I should see the goodness of the LORD *
in the land of the living!
The Rev. Dr. Agnes Norfleet considers this to be a "psalm of thin places" You can read her reflection about that right here.

Reciting Psalm 27 in church this morning brought me once more to an experience of great thanksgiving for the grace of my vocation. Deo gratias!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Ellie. It is very touching and the article is very inspiring.

    annie c

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought...in one Buddhist tradition (Soto), they speak of the "Lord of the House". I like the parallel.
    annie c

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a difficult time in my life, wrestling with vocation, isolation, and fear. This psalm helped me keep going. I thought of that time when reading the psalm on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this comment, Paul. I'm glad the psalm has meant so much to you too.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.