Sunday, August 5, 2012

Being itself

12th Century icon 
Image from Wikimedia Commons 

Here's something very, very refreshing by Richard Rohr:
It seems to me that we have made God a being instead of Being itself. Both John Duns Scotus and Thomas Aquinas said “Deus est Ens,” or “God is existence itself.” That is the first name of God in the Book of Exodus (3:14), which could rightly be translated “I am Am-ness,” or perhaps as Acts of the Apostles puts it: “God is the one in whom we live, and move, and have our being”
God is not A being alongside other beings. To believe that, to assert that, is actually to limit God when you think about it.
~~~

4 comments:

  1. Very well put statement by Richard Rohr, and one with which I am in total agreement. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could some how wrap my head around this I think it might answer all the spiritual searching I have done for the past 33 years. Not yet. Sigh.
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect Carolyn that the fact you can say that is an indication that you may get it more than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting observation, Tom. Something I will have to consider and give some serious thought. Thank you.
      Carolyn L.

      Delete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.