Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The importance of preparation


I just came across the most marvelous statement by Abraham Lincoln:
If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my ax.
It reminded me of the story about Archbishop Michael Ramsey who was asked by a reporter how much time he devoted to prayer every day.

"One minute," replied His Grace. Then, in response to the reporter's shocked look, he added, "But I spend fifty-nine minutes preparing to pray."

I've always loved that story. It points out the importance of meditation - of settling and quieting the mind.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a good story and one that I need to take to heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.