Friday, July 24, 2009

True comprehension

"Abraham and Sara"

This is very encouarging to me right now:

Discipleship is not limited to what you can understand - it must transcend all comprehension. Plunge into the deep waters beyond your own understanding…. Bewilderment is the true comprehension. Not to know where you are going is the true knowledge. In this way Abraham went forth from his father, not knowing where he was going.

-- Martin Luther

"Bewilderment is the true comprehension." What a powerful paradox. For it is the key, I'm sure of it, to letting go.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this too Ellie. It helps me remember to accept things as they are.

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the Luther quote, Annie. I do too. And it helps illuminate the Abraham story, I think.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.