Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Freedom from confusion


Here is an interesting saying from one of the Desert Fathers:

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free of confusion and thankful in your prayer.
Abba Nilus in Desert Wisdom: Sayings from the Desert Fathers

I think it's interesting that the outcome of letting go of our own preferences is the freedom from confusion as well as gratitude. Perhaps that is because if we are constantly attached to our preferences we end up never being satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. It goes along with this prayer of Thomas Kelly, Quaker:

    Be Thou my will, be Thou my will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellie. Sometimes when I pray, I wind up with, "And please help me be okay with however it turns out ..."

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.