Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Reserves of reverence


I've come across this quotation twice today and so I think maybe it's a good idea to post it:

A religion that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by traditional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.

-- Carl Sagan

Of course, "such a religion" has already emerged but it is often well hidden. I refer, of course, to the mystical and contemplatative aspects of the religions we already have. Sadly, these aspects are often ignored or even disparaged by authoritarian, legalistic types of practitioners.

Ah, Carl Sagan, you are very missed, indeed!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see an old episode of "Cosmos" coming on PBS, I am eager to watch it (all over again)...and it's just as interesting and worthwhile as it was, when it first came on TV, 20 yrs ago! What an incredible mind that man had! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you, Kristin. One of these days I'm going to order the set. I'd love to see them ALL again!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.