Thursday, February 5, 2009

A different sort of eyes

There is no telling where God may turn up next — around what sudden bend of the path if you happen to have your eyes and ears open, your wits about you, in what odd, small moments almost too foolish to tell.


Frederick Buechner in The Eyes of the Heart

Buechner's title is an allusion to a passage in Ephesians that I've always loved - a prayer that "the eyes of our hearts may be enlightened." Think for a while about your heart having eyes, would you?

2 comments:

  1. If my heart had eyes, it would see the parts of me that I do not like, that I am afraid of, that I try to hide, that I do not want to exert the effort to change. How scary.
    If my hear had eyes, it would see the beauty in others I do not normally see, it would see the lessons others have to teach me, it would see the gifts others have to give me. How beautiful.
    If my heart could see maybe the beautiful things that are seen would make the scary things less scary.
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really beautiful, Carolyn. And really insightful, too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.