Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Praying through overwhelm

Artist: Ivan Semenovich Kulikov

This is a prayer that I found on the Explorefaith.org website:
Gracious God, when I look at the mound of papers on my desk, see the length of my to-do list, think about the state of the economy, I feel a deep malaise washing over my soul. It is as if I am being tossed about by waves of anxiety, and I can no longer find firm ground on which to stand. Come with your mighty wind and blow the wave back to sea that I may be still in the wake you leave behind. I ask this for the sake of your love. Amen.
I know that quite a number of people who come to talk to me are going through that feeling of being overwhelmed. Cultivating tools for handling this feeling skillfully and learning to trust God for our sense of well being will help. Truly.
~~~

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ellie.

    I also like what the Buddhists say..."if there's something you can do about a problem, why worry about it? If there is nothing you can do, why worry about it"?

    I know that may be easier said than done, but it DOES make sense, doesn't it?
    annie c

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this today.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.