Friday, November 19, 2010

Believing "in" rather than merely "about"

Artist: Max Slevogt

Believing in him is not the same as believing things about him such as that he was born of a virgin and raised Lazarus from the dead. Instead, it is a matter of giving our hearts to him, of come hell or high water putting our money on him, the way a child believes in a mother or a father, the way a mother or a father believes in a child.

-- Frederick Buechner

I have shared with you before how much I respect and value the works of Frederick Buechner. I really appreciate this passage because the misconception is widespread that we must believe certain doctrines about Jesus rather than placing our faith in him, setting our hearts on him.
~~~

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it is the dogma I struggle with. I'm always second-guessing myself on that level. "Do I believe this or that about him? If not, maybe I shouldn't bother!" Et cetera.

    But perhaps I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ellie. A friend once asked if I believed in the virgin birth. I said, "Maybe yes, maybe no, but that it is really beside the point." That rather shocked her. Buechner's writing on the subject explains it so much better than I ever could. I have forwarded this link to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a guy at work who sometimes refers to me as a "believer" and it makes me slightly uncomfortable. I think he means he thinks I am the former (someone who thinks certain things about Jesus). But this has always seemed to me to be "not it". I wouldn't know if the Virgin Birth was true or not and agree with BooCat that it doesn't really seem to matter. How to explain this is another matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually prefer to think of my self as a latter day follower or disciple of Jesus, though not a "Latter Day Saint" in any sense of the word. The expression "I believe in Jesus or I believe Christ can so easily be interpreted to mean that I believe about Jesus or about Christ what someone else thinks is important.I actually prefer to think of my self as a latter day follower or disciple of Jesus, though not a "Latter Day Saint" in any sense of the word. Nor am I even a good follower or disciple.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.