Friday, April 8, 2011

Letters from God

Artist: Cornelis Norbertus Gijsbrechts

I have Walt Whitman on my mind today. That's probably because I watched the rebroadcast on PBS this week of the masterpiece documentary by Ken Burns entitled "The Civil War." In it, Walt Whitman was quoted frequently. Here's something from "Song of Myself" that I have loved since I was a girl:

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?


I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,


In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass,


I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign'd by God's name,


And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe'er I go,


Others will punctually come for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.