Saturday, October 25, 2008

Answering to "a higher judge"


For some reason I have had Elizabeth the First on my mind today. And so I offer the following:
Christ was the word that spake it.
He took the bread and break it;
And what his words did make it
That I believe and take it.
-- On the Eucharist (possibly apocryphal)

My lords, the past cannot be cured.
-- Statement to Parliament

There is but one Lord, Jesus Christ. One faith. All else is a dispute over trifles.
-- On the Protestant/Catholic divide

I have ever used to set the last Judgement Day before mine eyes, and so to rule as I shall be judged to answer before a higher judge.
--- From "The Golden Speech"

I have no desire to make windows into men's souls.
--- About the Catholic/Protestant issue
Ah, Elizabeth! We have need of you in these latter days!

1 comment:

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.