Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yes, I am my brother's keeper

Cherokee

Today a friend of mine sent me a quotation by the Sioux writer and actor, Luther Standing Bear. I wanted to learn more about him so I did a search and, in the process, came upon a site called First People. There's a section called "Poems and Prayers" and, in it, I found this:

Cherokee Traveler's Greeting

I will draw thorns from your feet.
We will walk the White Path of Life together.
Like a brother of my own blood,
I will love you.
I will wipe tears from your eyes.
When you are sad,
I will put your aching heart to rest.
St. Paul, in the book of Galatians, says this: "Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ." I think the "Cherokee Tranveler's Greeting" is a beautiful description of what that can look like.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to the power of love & devotion, compassion & mercy. Thank you for sharing this w/us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, folks. Yes, I particularly liked this one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to see lovely nice comments as opposed to the racially, emotionally and politically charged comments I've found on other blogs.

    You guys are the best :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you, Tuhonia. Hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.