Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Saint Simon and Saint Jude


Years ago, I was a parishioner of Grace Church in Alexandria, Virginia. On the back wall of the nave there is a niche - fairly high up - and in it is a statue of St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless or desperate causes.

I developed the habit of saying a quick prayer to him as I returned to my pew after communion. I remembered whatever seemingly hopeless cause had come to my attention during the past week. Sometimes it was about an item in the news. Sometimes it was about one of my students. Sometimes it was about my own life. The practice became one I valued even to this day (although now my parish church has, sadly, no such statue!)

Here is today's collect:
O God, we thank you for the glorious company of the apostles, And especially on this day for Simon and Jude; and we pray that, as they were faithful and zealous in their mission, so we may with ardent devotion make known the love and mercy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.