Sunday, January 11, 2009

Epiphany 1 - The Baptism of Jesus

I really like the image above and I wish I knew more about it. I found it here.

And I want to offer these ancient quotations:

It is not the day when Christ was born that should be called Epiphany, but the day when He was baptized. Not through His birth did he become known to all, but through his Baptism. Before the day of Baptism he was not known to the people.

-- St. John Chrysostom

Here, the idea of the "shining sun" being baptized is marvelously evocative:

Come and see how the shining sun
Is baptized in the waters of a humble river.
A mighty cross appeared over the water of baptism.
The servants of sin descend
And the children of everlasting life ascend.
Come ye, therefore, and receive the light.


- Greek hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.