Friday, January 2, 2009

Making the terrible world endurable

Artist: Albertus Verhoesen
I have long admired Flannery O'Connor but, truth to tell, I haven't thought about her works much just lately. Today I happened to come across a reference to her and decided to share the following with you:

I think that the Church is the only thing that is going to make the terrible world we are coming to endurable; the only thing that makes the Church endurable is that it is somehow the body of Christ and that on this we are fed. It seems to be a fact that you suffer as much from the Church as for it but if you believe in the divinity of Christ, you have to cherish the world at the same time that you struggle to endure it.
...
The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
...
Conviction without experience makes for harshness.

-- Flannery O'Connor

* Flannery O'Connor was fascinated by birds - especially peacocks.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen you in the comments of other blogs and mentioned at Mad Priest's blog but I have never visited here - which I am very sorry about.

    This post is so gorgeous and touches my heart so deeply. I may have to link to it.

    Thank you Ellie - this is wonderful. Hope you are enjoying your time in ABQ. I would love to meet Jan one day myself. And I am a fan of Rohr; it was through him that I first encountered the Enneagram in 1990.

    Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have you visit, Fran! Yes, it's been a delight to meet Jan. I learned about the conference in the first place from her blog. It's a huge conference. There are over 600 people here.

    And I was introduced to the Enneagram myself by Richard Rohr's tapes in around 1992 or so.

    I'm glad you like the post. Personally, I think I need to spend time with Flannery O'Connor again. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.