Thursday, January 15, 2009

The relationship between value and love

"Prodigal Son"
Artist: Oleg A. Korolev

This man was one of my heroes:

God's love doesn't seek value, it creates value. It is not because we have value that we are loved, but because we are loved that we have value.

William Sloane Coffin

I'm saddened by how many people come my way who believe they have to earn God's love -- even those who grew up in churches that officially emphasize grace. It just goes to demonstrate that what we model is so much more effective than what we say.

2 comments:

  1. Ellie, I needed this so much! In lectio with Ps. 139, I realized that I had yet again fallen into the old pattern of blaming myself for all the things I'm not doing. . . .true, but I kept looking at myself in reverse pride and not at God. So this quote was good to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What we model is so much more effective than what we say."

    So true.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.