Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vincent of Saragossa, Deacon and Martyr

Here's what I was able to find out:

The title line above states almost all that is certainly known about Vincent, the earliest Spanish martyr whose name is known to us. It is said that he was brought to trial along with his bishop Valerius, and that since Valerius had a speech impediment, Vincent spoke for both, and that his fearless manner so angered the governor that Vincent was tortured and killed, though his aged bishop was only exiled.
He was martyred in 304 and is the patron saint of wine makers, vinegar makers and vine dressers.

So, the next time you pull out that bottle of vinegar for your salad dressing, think of St. Vincent and give thanks for his life and witness!

Also, it seems to me that if you are horrified by the prospect of book burning then Vincent is your man! His tormenters agreed to release him if he would consign his Bible to the flames. He refused, of course.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Vincent of Saragossa (which is why I have him plastered all over my own blog).

    He's my favorite saint, and--unofficially perhaps--been my personal patron saint since 2002.

    Thank you for remembering him. His feast day sometimes gets forgotten here in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so delighted to have you drop by, Doni.

    I'll pop over and see your blog soon. (I'm just finishing up in my office here and am on the way home. I'll check then.)

    Happy Saints Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Saint Vincent's Day to you, too! God bless!

    P.S. -- I commented on your comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.