Sunday, October 11, 2009

The "rich young ruler"

"Christ and the Rich Young Ruler" (11th Century)

Today's gospel tells the story usually known as that of the "rich young ruler". Jesus says to him, "Sell all that you have and give it to the poor and come, follow me."

Here's some that I found on a page of thoughts about this morning's readings:

"Oh, but I'm not rich." Try entering your income in the Global Rich List and see where you end up.
I just discovered that I'm in the top 7.16% richest people in the world. It's very thought provoking, really.

1 comment:

  1. every quarter i have my students (who are receiving benefits from the state) take the quiz - they are always surprised that they are not the poorest....it's sobering for all of us to realize just how much we have in comparison to the rest of the planet.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.