Monday, October 12, 2009

Community and disappointment

"Christ in Majesty"

Oh my. Fr. Clyde Glandon has really outdone himself today with the lectio quotations he sends out. All of them are simply wonderful. It's hard to pick a favorite but I think I'll go with this one:

Our risk lies in choosing one another over and over again in the face of failure and disappointment. Living in the Spirit means choosing not to live from our resentments and disappointments but from our new life in Christ. And we have to go on choosing right, up until the end. The work of the Spirit is to unsettle us through love. We don’t build community by building community. We build it by having our eye on something else. What is that ‘something else’? God in Christ.

Alan Jones, from Common Prayer on Common Ground

1 comment:

  1. Terrific quote - I've listed it on my books of interest list - I can't order any more books right now! My reading stack is bulging but the quote is a keeper.

    Also, I so enjoy icons of Jesus such as the one you're showing today.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.