Wednesday, October 14, 2009

No small thing

Artist: Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Image from Wikimedia Commons

I once really wanted to learn German just so I could read Martin Buber in the original. Here is something he said that is deeply true, of that I'm certain:
There are people who suffer terrible distress, and they cannot tell anyone of it, and they go about full of suffering. But if you meet them with a kindly countenance, you may lighten their load with your joy. And it is no small thing to cheer another.

3 comments:

  1. I so agree with you and Jan. Another reason I really like this quote is because it reminds me of how little is required of me to actually cheer someone else up. It's easy.

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very true....wise words. Loving words. Inspired words. :-)

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.